Monday, May 10, 2010

Hw 55: Independent Reaserch Topic

The relationship domain I have settled on would be intimate day to day relationships of a lover or person whom you would desire to live with.

Question: Is it true that an individual needs to accept themselves for who they are as a person before they are ready to have another person try to fall in love with them?

Triangle Partner Feedback:
Evan-
Hey Evan,
Thanks for the great feedback on my blog, it really helped think of my topic in a new perspective.
Sorry I'm so late with this comment.
Anyways, I think your questions are strong, and you have a good subject to work with. Our parents are one of the largest influences in our lives because its the first human relationship we encounter daily for 18 years.

I have a suggestion for a possible source, called Reviving Ophelia. I used it for my last research paper, but it mainly focuses on the female's perspective, which you may not be interested in.

Anyways, back to your questions. I still think they may be a little too broad. Perhaps you could say how the children carry the parental example through out their lives. Like "how might a stay at home mother affect a child's judgment on gender roles and how it may pertain to themselves." I'm not sure if that's exactly the direction you want to go in, but I think your on the right path so far.
Keep up the good work :)  



Julie A.- 
Wassup Julie?

I like the aspect or your question, its odd to think how much affirmation we seek from other people and the lack of personal acceptance we have for ourselves.
Perhaps your can dig deeper by saying "what is the source of all this need for acceptance that people feel they need from others? What may have happened in their lives that prevent them from just feeling content with themselves with out the affirmation of others?"
Regardless of if you use my suggestion or not, I think your off to a great start :D
- Alicia


Revised Question
Do people really need to be content with themselves and their lives as an individual before they can have a healthy functioning relationship with another? If so, how do we know when we have truly accepted ourselves, and should we expect the same type of contentment from the person whom we desire to be in a relationship with?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alicia,

    first off i think this a really interesting question that has a different perspective I hadn't thought of before. I like that it deals with two types of relationships, one that deals oneself and another that deals with love relationships. If you want to make it even more interesting and specific you could add another part that discusses why we may or may not need to accept ourselves. Do we all start out not accepting ourselves, Do we all have these insecurities? It might also be interesting to think about what happens in relationships where both participants accept themselves or a relationship where the participants do not. Do relationships where the is no acceptance fail more often? these are just some questions to think about, overall it think your question is pretty good and interesting.

    ReplyDelete