Monday, October 26, 2009

Hw # 15: Comments

Whats good Evan? Long time...

I haven't seen your blog in a while but it appears your up to date with all of the assignments which makes this much easier for me, thank you.

What I enjoined most about this particular post was how intriguing and interesting articles you had that suggested some original ideas I hadn't thought much about myself. I like the topic you chose, I agree that cell phones were one of the first and most important of all the gadgets in the digitalization phenomena.
One of my necessities is definitely my cell phone, and I found it so weird that your first article claimed that "according to a 2004 MIT survey cell phones were the most hated invention that people can't live without." I guess its never dawned on me how irritating cell phones can be when they are being observed from a different perspective. As an individual I rely on my cell phone for safety, responsibilities and socializing. But at times when I have to bare to listen to another person yack on their cell phones, I grow increasingly annoyed, and I'm sure other people have thought the same of me.

This reminds me of something a friend of mine who doesn't have a cell phone at the moment once said to me. She was referring to another woman on the bus with a phone, and how tortuous it was for her to listen to someone enjoying a gadget that she could not. I know that I need an escape from my souroundings sometimes, and how incomplete and uncomfortable I feel if I don't have the option of zoning out with the help of an upbeat song or friendly text message.

One thing you did well in this post was share articles with various themes and big idea's. I like how you first article listen was a bit more broad that discussed some of the qualities of a cell phone and their users. Then you have an article about the advantages of a cell phone like in an emergency, and a following article about the health risks.

I was thinking, you may want to go into more detail about what valuable information there was in the second and third article, or perhaps found another article that discussed the advantages of cell phones since the one you had was quite short.

I also didn't really like the last article you had since it was so boring and somewhat off topic. I think it would have been cool if you had a few youtube clips of outrageous cell phone commercials emphasizing how cut throat the industry has become to win over customers.

Reading this post, I wonder how long I could go without a cell phone. Whether I would feel dysfunctional without it of just resort to relaying on friends phones for communication. You've certainly helped me realize what an addiction and overall attachment I have to my phone and how although I find it mostly useful it could slowly be causing a brain tumor in my head. For some reason, knowing this information I don't think it would stop me from using it.

Maybe we can further try to understand why?

See ya in class :)

No comments:

Post a Comment