Monday, January 4, 2010

Hw 32: Presentation of Self

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but each eye interprets beauty so much differently. This not only applies to beauty, but perspectives of cool as well. In the past decade (and much before) tattoos have been on an uprising consideration of cool, (depending of course on the form it takes and who it is intended to appeal to) and those bold enough to get stuck with a sharp inked needle indulge in them, along with crazy hair styles and outrageous piercing. 

  But tattoos, I believe, are a lot different from piercings. Piercings for me, aside from ear piercings, are a way to try and express off how indy, bad ass or trendy you can be. They are all for show and I can't come to understand what the meaning of putting additional holes in your face or body does but become a burden to take care of. Its just another accessory to add to an aspiring image and I already know I'd be too lazy to partake and try to keep up with such a trend. But I can only speak for myself. 

  Tattoo's on the other had, I am more prone to supporting. Its like art on the beautiful human body (for the most part). The right design can advocate the most moving message and I frankly love to hear the stories behind such tattoo's. It's a way to document the history of your life or record what you hope to achieve in the future. Your loveliest memories don't have to be forgotten, they can be revisited each time you glance in the mirror. 

  I was reading over Daniel Chandler's Semiotics web page, and he suggested things that I already knew but in a different way. He really summed it up nicely how we all just want meaning, in any shape or form we all strive to find purpose in all that we do, tattoo's especially. 
There are two aspects to tattoo's, there's a signifier (signifiant); the form which the sign takes; and there's the signified (signifié) - the concept it represents.

No comments:

Post a Comment