Thursday, September 17, 2009

HW #4 + #5: Comments to other blogs

My Comment to Brittney's Blog:
Hey Brit (can I call you that?),

I actually really enjoyed reading this post. You are to the point and identified issues I had never really considered myself. You definitely asked the million dollar question of "why people keep coming back for more?" But you also did a great job at answering your own question; "its an addiction".

Its obvious you kept a common theme throughout your post that all this digital technology is nothing but an addicting habit people can't seem to shake. Its become a necessity instead of a luxury and that's why its so difficult to give it up, no matter what time of the day you use it.

Your propose some obvious benefits of the internet that reminded me of the benefits discussed in class, but i liked when you mentioned the t.v. and computer consuming so much of our time that it practically takes over our days. There has been countless times when I said to myself I'd only go on facebook for 10 minutes and then 2 hours later I'm still logged in.

But what about the bigger picture? How do you think all these hours we dedicate to looking at a screen could possibly damage us in the future? What would have happened to mankind if the internet wasn't created and we didn't have software to store all this information?

Overall you did a really good job and I can't wait to read what else you have to say about future topics :)

My Comment to Evan's Blog:
Hey Evan, although i don't know you very well yet, your post was very informative about your views on the "digital age" and I can say we do have some thoughts in common, especially about how revolutionary all of this technology is.

I enjoyed the fact that you shared your perspective on how useful digitalization has become and how it is so in demand that people not only expect it in business but now in the home as well. I also loved how you not only referred to technology in this country but in comparisons to others. Whats good for one country may not be as beneficial for another. You wrapped up all your ideas nicely with that final conclusion paragraph as well.

I could tell you were trying to convey a message that although all these electronic gadgets may appear useful and enjoyable to some, it isn't always the same outlook for others.

Even though I'm not as well informed about the issues going on in Iran as you seem to be, I could understand where you were going with your opinion on the shadier use of technology. This reminds me of the books 1984 by George Orwell where technology was used for the government to gain and obtain power over the citizens of a forcefully Totalitarian Society.Although this book was an author's prediction that may have a bit extreme, i think that its fair to say all this digital control could contribute to government influence.

You mentioned how you saw technology as ruling out jobs that were once performed my people, and therefore now are lacking a "human touch". But do you think your could elaborate on that and perhaps provide an example like you did with your other points? Why can we no longer think for ourselves? What aren't we doing that we once did before computers, iPhones and TV's?

Your post really got me thinking about the idea of accomplishments and how success is based on how much you contribute to the future of the world. I always saw being in digital "demand" as the only way to live, but perhaps it isn't only holding people back from one another but also from independence and freedom.

Thanks for sharing your opinions for me to build off of. I'm intrigued to read what further thoughts you have in this class :)

No comments:

Post a Comment