Sunday, November 29, 2009

Hw 26: Pix & Q's















I unfortunately couldn't get an interview for the first two ladies above because they were both in a hurry to either catch a train or flag down a cab, but they were both gracious enough to pose for a picture showing off their outfits. I know this style is something you've probably all seen before from fashionista's of our grade like the lovely Beatrice and Ali Jo, but what I liked most about these trendy women was how they didn't need to be a size two to flaunt their taste in clothes. It was the fact that their average sized young people who poses typical New York fashion mixed with their own bold twists like unique booties and vibrant purses, that I found so admirable and praise worthy. I've always idolized people who make a style work no matter their imperfections, regardless of what other people think and the general followers of such fashion. The first woman I saw was a photographer, and I thought he had exactly the right demeanor for her fast paced job. The second women I hear works for a magazine, so there is no surprise that she would be so well dressed, sporting gorgeous white laced boots I was practically drooling over.



NOTE: The next several interviews were conducted with Chloe, so if one or two of the same people show up on both our blogs its because we both awed the persons fashion. :)



This next girl I saw I practically fell over myself to track down before she walked too far to interview. Unfortunately the picture doesn't serve her justice since in addition to impecable taste in clothes and gorgeous hair she also had reeally unique peircincs including a septum one. She was edgy yet feminie and she had a confidence that I was in awe of. I suppose it was the fact that she could stand out so successfully that made her seem cool to me. When Chloe and I asked her what her perception of cool was, she said she thought New York was cool and that she idolizes trend setters like David Bowie and Lady Gaga. "People who don't give a shit, who are fearless."
This of course is one of the 5 most common responses we expected to hear from people, and I wasn't especially surprised she was the kibnd of person who thought defying the norm was cool.


I like this next girls casual chicness. She was working at one of those booths that sit in the carnval of stands that pop up in Union Square around christmas time, and what I really loved were the authentic leather bags she was selling. When Chloe asked her how much her whole outfit amounted to she estimated around $160 give or take. Mainly it was her Steve Maden boots that cost $120 that made her total so large, the rest of her clothes she said she bought at forever 21. Since I generally think forever has really tacky clothing, I was impressed she pulled off a relatively trendy outfit.


She finds people who know a lot to be cool, who are interesting and funny and who doesn;t judge others. This made me think that she is someone who has been judged and resports to friends who are shy and boring, but I could be wrong.

When I asked what celebrities she finds cool she listed two people I've never heard of, so I assume that she takes pride in original taste which is another perception of cool people take most pride in.


This last person I interviewed so far actually approached me! Its an old friend from camp Anya who goes to Laguardia, and who happend to be in Beatrice's social circle so you know she has to be cool. I especially liked her jacket and boots, she's possesed a style that I've secretly taken notice of on faceook for a while and she has a really laid back personality to go with it. "Being who you are is whats cool... um, not being a loser? lol"
She thought that NOT trying to be a part of a group is whats cool, I assume she meant conforming to a certain social circle or being labled. She liked being comfortable, reffering to her outfit and her lifestyle. It was a slighty different answer then most, but I guess being comfortable with yourself is the same as being yourself and that of course is what we're all encouraged to do.
I really liked this responbse because it didn't seem like she was TRYING to be cool when saying it like some others are.
I'm a little disatisfied with myself for not interviewing any men even though there were plenty of good looking ones I wish I had worked up the nerve to approach. But generally since I am a girl I only usually pay more attention to other cool girls.

4 comments:

  1. I actually know the girl in the second picture. Her names Dana Goldstein. She's the one who is gonna put me in Vice Magazine for modeling some clothing line. She is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Initially I was flattered that you called me a "fashionista", but then I realized that wouldn't be very "Andy" of me.

    I am conflicted :|

    ReplyDelete
  3. i dont really like the 3rd girl. she reminds me of lady gaga who is tremendously ridiculous. also das ma fren anya! hey anya! ima see her saturday

    also lolol to what aj said
    -bea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is your name David?

    And I love lady gaga, she is over the top because its what she wants and looks hot doing it.

    Btw, I gave you a shout out in my blurb, didn't u read it??

    ReplyDelete